Stump Slung Chitlins

"The base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen" (1 Corinthians 1:28).* Some names may be changed to protect the innocent (and the guilty).* Unless otherwise noted, all Scripture quotations are taken from the King James Version of the Holy Bible.* Posts may be edited without notice to correct content or grammar.* © 2006-2024, Troy Hurdle, All Rights Reserved.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Yoknapatawpha County, Mississippi, United States

Sunday, April 17, 2022

My Only Hope is Aslan

“I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it.”    - Puddleglum in C.S. Lewis' The Silver Chair

If I haven't already made it crystal clear in this blog, let me make it clear right now – I am a great sinner.  Not I was, but I am (Romans 7:19).  Sometimes I even hesitate to identify myself publicly as a Christian, not because I'm ashamed of Christ's cross; but rather, because I feel everyday that I'm flirting with disaster.  I'm just one word or one act away from humiliating myself, hurting my family, and bringing disrepute upon the gospel.  I've had too many razor-thin close calls to think otherwise.  Consequently, my prayer is that God would grant me grace (and wisdom) to get through each day without causing too much damage.

So, although I would be on Aslan's side, I'm not confident enough in myself to make that assertion.  I'm just too weak.  Regardless, I still hope He's on my side.  Thus my version of the Puddleglum quote above would be something more like this: “I limp after Aslan.  Even if He rejects me or it all turns out to be an elaborate hoax, still I struggle on after Him.  Because Aslan and Aslan alone is my hope."  Or to put it another way, using non-Narnian terms, if God does ultimately pluck this brand out of the fire (Zechariah 3:2), it will be sola gratia, propter Christum - by grace alone, because of Christ.  

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home